Saturday, July 21, 2007

Fibromyalgia Syndrome and Menopause

Hello and welcome to my blog. I am in menopause due to a hysterectomy three years ago. I was 38 years old... and WHAM!

Sudden menopause.

Hot flashes, memory problems, weight gain and unusual joint and muscle pain. My best friend had a hysterectomy in her early thirties. Same thing with her, only the joint and muscle pain is profound. So I'm wondering what the link is between menopause, hormone changes and the misery of fibromyalgia. Turns out there are a lot of theories. I will work on posting them here over the next few months. Let me issue a disclaimer: I am not a medical professional. This blog is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or take the place of your medical doctor's advice. And, please don't post comments trying to diagnose, treat or cure... Sorry, that's the rules.

Okay, that said, let's jump into the nitty gritty of this fibromyalgia/fatigue thing.

I look forward to getting your input.

Definition:
Fibromyalgia is a syndrome (set of symptoms) characterized first by diffuse muscular and joint pain, with no particular origin or identifiable cause, accompanied by fatigue and compromised immune system function. The most identifiable characteristic of fibromyalgia is that sufferers have "tender points"--up to eighteen points on the body that are unusually tender and painful.

Symptoms include burning, stabbing pain in the back, neck, shoulders and back of the head, fatigue, stiffness, which is usually worse in the morning, headaches, unrelenting insomnia, anxiety, heart palpitations, impaired coordination and memory problems. Some sufferers also report bouts of anxiety, depression, dizziness and dry eyes/mouth.

Fibromyalgia is closely related to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, which manifests with similar symptoms. CFS's primary symptom is profound fatigue; muscle and joint pain is secondary. The two disorders are often misdiagnosed and are sometimes difficult to differentiate from one another.

Just last week, I ran across a fascinating story about Martin Pall, Ph.D. He has written a brand new book, linked here: Explaining 'Unexplained Illnesses': Disease Paradigm for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Multiple Chemical Sensitivity, Fibromyalgia, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, and Gulf War Syndrome

What is the theory?

Dr. Pall, who is has a Ph.D. in biochemistry, has concluded that a potent oxidant compound, peroxynitrite, may be the culprit in a number of diseases and syndromes. He has worked in collaboration with the supplement manufacturer, Allergy Research Group, to create a specific line of anti-oxidant nutritional formulations to assist in down-regulating the oxidation response.

If you care to wade through a very technical article, here is one of interest, regarding Dr. Pall's
biochemical theory of Chronic Fatigue and Fibromyalgia:

http://www.ei-resource.org/Articles/cfs-art12.asp

Until next time...best regards.

2 comments:

Lesli said...

Thank you! Now I know I am not alone...or crazy! :o)

kkay22 said...

This was very good information, it helps me to put together when my pain first started and it was around the time of personal and physical trauma. I also was told about the same time that I had thyroid problems and I am going through menopause. I personally believe that they all go hand in hand.